We’re starting a new feature here in the Hen House. Stop by every Friday for a fresh FRIDAY FIVE, a quick list of tips, tricks, facts, quizzes, trivia, and chicken whatnots. We’re kicking it off in honor of Larissa Reinhart’s 2nd Cherry Tucker mystery, STILL LIFE IN BRUNSWICK STEW, which hit bookshelves this week…
Five Things to Put in Your Brunswick Stew
We all know from Cherry Tucker’s experience that Brunswick Stew recipes vary greatly, but here are the top 5 staples to any Brunswick Stew.
1) Tomato. Use crushed tomatoes, catsup, canned tomato sauce, and/or tomato paste to create the thick base every Brunswick Stew requires.
2) Corn. Lots of different veggies can be used, so it’s up to the chef to toss in whatever she prefers, but corn is always included.
3) Beans. Most traditional recipes call for lima beans, but others use pinto beans or great northern beans (get creative, go wild with your beans).
4) MEAT! Every kind of meat: chicken, beef, turkey, barbecue pulled pork, and heaven help us, even squirrel meat is found in Brunswick Stew recipes.
5) Spice. Those Southerners like it hot! Cayenne pepper, jalapenos, red chili flakes… Put a little kick in it, just like our sassy sleuth, Cherry Tucker.
Help us wrap up STILL LIFE IN BRUNSWICK STEW’s launch week by eating a big bowl of this savory Southern favorite. You know you’ll love it!